Are the Oscars childish or is the media distracting us?

Do you remember how you remember playing a sport as a child? Whenever a soccer teams won a championship game, everyone on the team would get a trophy to decorate their room? The winners of the soccer game were the center of attention, until the focus changed to something else. I think that during childhood we are either egocentric, celebrities, or curious. This week I heard on the radio that Jada Pinkett-Smith was considering boycotting the Oscars this year because all the nominees are, aptly, WHITE! That's childish! However, Pinkett-Smitth and her husband Will have decided not to watch the Oscars this year. Fair enough! 

Now, what's wrong with this picture? Circa a decade ago, actors of color like Jamie Foxx, won big at the Oscars for his performance in Ray! However, when was the last time an Asian actor won an Oscar for his performance in a movie? NEVER! And Asian celebrities are not throwing a tantrum online. However, the quarrel is between African-Americans and white people, just like it was in the 1950s when blacks were segregated from whites. At the same time, the media can easily manipulate us, the viewers, to look elsewhere when something interesting is happening outside our window. Actions speak louder than words! JUST DO IT!

Personally, I think this Black-and-white war is just the media distracting us from the truth. Thankfully, I quit watching the news back in 2013. I think this #OscarsSoWhite story is a simple distraction. I don'r plan on watching the Oscars this year either because I prefer of the commercials. I'd rather watch the nominations, winners on YouTube.

My Two Cents!

Comments

Popular Posts